Personal Jesus
Seven years ago, on an Easter Sunday not unlike today, I came to the realization I could no longer consider myself Christian. I was working as the Youth and Education Director for St. John's United Church of Christ when one of the young men in the youth group asked, "Derek, do you believe the resurrection really happened?" I paused, quickly considered the ramifications of what I was about to say, and told him the truth. I said, "I have a difficult time with all of the miracles in the Bible, the resurrection included. That doesn't mean the Bible doesn't have wonderful lessons regarding the way we should live our lives. I think it does. I believe the Bible is a collection of stories and parables written by people. I don't think it should taken literally." While I feared a total freakout by both the youth and their parents, nothing happened. Still, the moment was more than a little signficant for my personal spiritual journey. Christianity no longer provided the spiritual path I needed (and I know it still works for millions). Two months later, I was offered a full-time academic lectureship and resigned my position at St. John's.
Since that Easter, I've wandered an eclectic path consisting of Wicca, Buddhism, and Taoism. The writings of Starhawk, Buddha, Lao Tzu, the Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hanh, and host of others provide an intricate, personal text of spiritual investigation. For the last several years, I've finally known spiritual peace.
While I won't be celebrating the Resurrection today, I did encounter a number of interesting articles that conjured up the memory of my last Easter.
Choose Your Own Jesus
Greatest Myth
President Jimmy Carter: A Compassionate Christian
The Eostar Bunny
Peeps
For the record, I think Peeps are the most heinous of Easter candy. Give me a Cadbury Creme Egg any day.
No comments:
Post a Comment