Thursday, October 04, 2007

Why? Why? Why?

Cubs get a two run homer in the top of the second. Lilly gives up a 3 run blast in the bottom of the second. A triple scores another run. Cubs down 4-2. Why am I Cub fan? What did I do to deserve this?

UPDATED: Bottom of the 4th
WTF is Pinella thinking?! Why did he let Lilly continue to pitch when he was obviously struggling in the 2nd and 3rd? Two more runs in. Pinella is supposed to be one of the premiere managers? Screw that. He's doing a terrible job of managing his starting pitchers. This is exactly why I don't watch games during the regular season. I live and die by this team. It's much easier to look at a box score and think, "Too bad the Cubs dropped one. Glad I didn't watch the game." I then move on with my day without another thought. Tonight, I'm agonizing over the game.

6 comments:

Michael said...

Deep breaths, D. Besides the Rocks, nobody else is winning on the road, either. A couple of games at the friendly confines may be just what the team ordered.

How cool would a Chicago-Colorado NLCS be?

Unknown said...

Wow, you need to calm down, Chief. You sound like a Phillies fan. Such is the life of a Cubs fan. And really, other than Zambrano, there's not a great pitching staff for Pinella to manage. This team is really not all that great, unfortunately.

But the NL is so weird that anything can happen in the next three games, so just try to enjoy it.

dilliwag said...

Phillies fans should be freaking out.

This isn't the best Cubs team to take the field, for sure. Statistically, however, the pitching staff has the 4th best ERA in the majors. Pinella has more to work with than a lot of other managers and he made a bad move last night. I can excuse the Zambrano move two nights ago, but not last night. Lilly was terrible. When you're in the middle of a 162 game season, you can afford to see if your starting pitcher can get his act together. If it doesn't work, it's only one game. In the playoffs, you can't screw around with shakey pitching. Sit him down and help him get mentally prepared for his next start. Once the Diamondbacks were up 4-2, Lilly should have hit the bench.

Alas, this is exactly why I don't watch games during the regular season. I'd have a heart attack for sure.

One of my colleagues, who also happens to be a huge Cubs fan, said: "You watch. The Cubs will win two at home, return to Arizona, and get crushed. The entire sordid affair will represent the way this team continually gives us just enough hope to sucker us in, then smashes that hope into a million pieces."

Go Cubbies!

Unknown said...

The Cubs pitching staff has a low ERA, but that's because of their starters. Their relievers, especially their middle relief, is suspect.

But seriously - seek the inner peace on this. That way when the Cubs do tie it up and lose game 5, you'll be ready.

dilliwag said...

"But seriously - seek the inner peace on this. That way when the Cubs do tie it up and lose game 5, you'll be ready."

Exactly.

Susan A. Hubbard said...

This is why I only watch playoff hockey....and it broke my heart when the Sabres dropped to the Sens...I almost blew the 200$ to go to that game too... :(