Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Sweep?

Watching the Rockies on their recent amazing run is kind of like having your best friend win the lottery. It's cool and all, but it would be better if you (or the Cubs in this case) were the one winning. As a former inhabitant of Denver, at least I can say I've been following the Rockies since they arrived on the scene. I've been to tons of games, even in the seasons when they were absolutely awful, and I even have a Colorado Rockies wind breaker and hat around here somewhere. I have a feeling that's not the case for most of the present CR fans. Colorado sports fans, with the exception of Bronco fans (they're just plain nuts), are the biggest bunch of bandwagon jumpers you'll ever meet.

Speaking of bandwagons: you'd better jump on board with the Denver Nuggets before the regular season starts. Once the Nuggets start the regular season, and their inevitable drive toward the Western Conference Finals, latecomers will not be allowed.

1 comment:

Michael said...

No bandwagon jumper, I. Like you, I've been a fan of the Rocks from the beginning, even during the lean years--of which there have been quite a few. It's good to see them finally having some success.

And I solemnly swear not to jump on the Nuggets bandwagon...inasmuch as I generally only care about basketball in March and April, and then only at the college level.

Speaking of bandwagons, there's this writer for Yahoo Sports that cracks my up. After the play-in win against San Diego, he said, in essence, that the Rockies were lucky to win, and that emotion would only carry them so far. His prediction: Phillies in 3.

Then, at the beginning of the NLCS, he said that although the two teams were evenly matched, Brandon Webb would be the difference maker in the series. His prediction: D-Backs in 7.

When I saw him in a feature last night, the anchor was asking him who the Rockies would rather face in the World Series, Cleveland or Boston. His answer? "They could be facing the 1927 Yankees and feel confident going into this series."

Way to jump on the wagon, guy.