Patriotism. I love the fact that Obama has decided to quit wearing the flag pin. I'm sure I'm not the only person who sees this symbol as representing a particular type of patriotism, the type espoused by our current administration. The idea that one needs to wear a pin to remember 9-11 (who can forget?), or prove to an intelligent, discerning audience that you understand U.S. American values, is absurd. Any predictions regarding how long it will be before someone questions Obama's authenticity as a patriotic American? If, or should it be when, this happens, I believe I'll start wearing a flag pin painted black.
Poptarts. So, Britney's MTV comeback was a bomb, eh? Tell that to the media's favorite poptart--her new single is number 3 on the charts. Who needs kids when you're loved by your adoring fans? BTW, anyone who criticizes her post-child appearance (I heard one of my students refer to her as "fat") needs a reality check.*
Pop Flies. That's how I felt about last night's game between the Cubs and Diamondbacks. From the moment Arizona scored the initial run, I felt like I was watching a towering infield pop fly. It took a while, but I knew the ball would be caught for an out. And the Cubs did lose last night, 3-1. Pinella is taking a ton of heat for pulling Zambrano after 84 pitches in what looked like a move to help the starter stay fresh for his next start. The bullpen blew the game, but the Cubs have an ace ready for Sunday's game 4. If the Cubs get to game four. Did Pinella forget that the first round of the playoffs is a best of 5 series? Gotta win one to make it to game 4, Lou. In Pinella's defense, the Cubs have a decent bullpen and that move would have worked on many an evening. Alas, it didn't work last night. Hope springs eternal for tonight's game. Go Cubbies!
To bring the Cubs a little luck, I thought I'd resurrect one of my favorite Harry Caray moments. Back in the day when the Cubs really sucked, Harry used to make up songs on the spot. Here's one of my favorites (I can't believe I remember the words--this is from 20+ years ago). The lyrics are sung to the tune of The Ballad of Davy Crockett.
Jody. Jody Davis.
Hits the ball high and far.
Jody, Jody Davis.
He's a Cubs baseball star.
*When I heard the comment in class, I turned to the student in question and said, "You realize you just insulted almost every woman in this room, right? You have a very distorted perception of feminine beauty."
1 comment:
How dare you criticize Sweet Lou!
Post a Comment