Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Jeffrey Rules! Laura Drools!

I rarely get totally wrapped up in competition style reality television. Until now. Being a fan of Project Runway, I've always enjoyed watching the designers craft something new, unusual, and brilliant (and sometimes old, mundane, and just plain uninspired). Even so, I've never really actively cheered, out loud, during a finale. Tonight was the exception.

As regular viewers of the show will understand, Jeffrey has been the guy many fans love to hate. He's arrogant, brash, and alternative; he goes out of his way to intentionally rile people up. Over the course of Season 3, however, he became my favorite. His rock and roll aesthetic, while something of a one trick pony, appeals to me. What appeals to me more than his rebellious attitude is the fact that he's in recovery. I'm not sure I can articulate the connection I feel with other people in recovery, but it's definitely there. It's like I know an intimate part of their experience, a part no "normie" could ever understand.

Last week, in Part I of the season finale, one of other finalists (there were four total) accused Jeffrey of outsourcing his work. In other words, Laura accused him of cheating. As if I needed another reason, Laura's accusation evoked my wrath. How dare she accuse Jeffrey of cheating!? When she made the accusation I turned to STK and said, "She's dead wrong. If he's been sober this long, he understands the meaning of rigorous honesty. You don't stay sober unless you're honest with yourself and with others. If he's really in recovery, and I think he is, he didn't cheat." For the last week, I seethed over this silly show. I scoured the internet for word of Jeffrey's fate, defended him to anyone who would listen, and bad mouthed Laura at every turn (I can't stand that pretentious upper crust snot).

Tonight, I will rest easier. Not only did the producers of the show find Jeffrey innocent of any significant wrong doing, but he won the entire contest! w00t! A victory for recovering people everywhere.

Take that, Laura. Pack up your unimaginative evening gowns and head back to turtle poop lane.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You feel better having gotten that off your chest?

Anonymous said...

I will admit that his recovery identification made him endearing to me as well, as did his son and girlfriend.

And frankly, the mom-thing... I thought Angela's mom was one of those women who make me INSANE with their helpless victim-ness, and I would probably have been just as irritated. His design for her sucked, but she was just outrageous in her "poor me" attitude.

-Sheila