For those in search of a good cappuccino in a Starbucks-on-every-corner world (and sometimes two Starbucks on opposite corners), give their short cappuccino a try. I'm afraid I can't offer a review. I don't drink anything other than coffee, espresso, and an occasional Americano (espresso shots with water).
The Short Cappuccino
And some not so great news for those of us trying to be socially conscious coffee drinkers:
Not So Fair Trade Coffee?
I love the paragraph regarding the way the meaning of coffee has changed in the last decade.
In the mid-?90s, as Starbucks stores popped up in rapid succession and the image of the overworked exec lost some of its appeal, coffee became associated with epicureans rather than workaholics. The luxury item of a leisure class, coffee was suddenly less speed than valium. "Almost overnight, coffee switched its meaning," comments Scott Hamrah, a semiotics consultant and expert in the field of brand identity. "It became the opposite of what it meant before. First it was this stuff that you drank that allows you to be a machine. Then it became this moment of serene contemplation."
Oddly enough, coffee means both for me. I find a good cup of coffee one of the most soothing things on the planet. Similarly, it's a great jolt of get up and go about 1 or 2 PM. Given my intake of coffee and caffeine, I think any physical effects are largely a result of psychological expectations.
No comments:
Post a Comment