Thursday, March 16, 2006

HuhWha?

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I'm part of an academic reading group. After a long hiatus, we're resuming our gatherings and beginning with the first couple chapters of Giorgio Agamben's Homo Sacer: Sovereign Power and Bare Life. Have I mentioned that I'm the only non-philosopher in the reading group? This puts me at a serious disadvantage when it comes to getting up to speed with the concepts presented in almost very text we tackle. Rather than reading straight through the first couple chapters of Homo Sacer, I had to stop and spend some time educating myself on "the state of exception" concept. Thanks to the magic of the Internets, I think I understand the basics of the idea. "Think" is the operative term.

I don't feel very smart tonight. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not my usual territory.

No comments: