Monday, November 17, 2003

BFOQs

I don't know why I keep stumbling across these workplace related articles ::shrugs:: From time to time, I teach Business and Professional Speaking. While the class isn't my favorite, I do undestand it's a necessary skills course for many people. During the course of the semester, we spend a day or two talking about legitimate interview questions or bonafide occupational questions (BFOQs). What a person is supposed to do if they're asked a non-BFOQ is always an interesting discussion. I like the answer provided by this article.

Illegal Questions

Personally, I think I'd respond with the following:

"You do realize that's an illegal question, right? You should sign up for my Business and Professional Speaking course. We cover BFOQs, which your question isn't. Here's my card. I'll be happy to sign an override if my section is full. Until that time, I believe our interview is finished. I have no intention of working for such an unprofessional dolt as yourself. I'll let myself out."

No comments: