Friday, November 28, 2003

Banned!

Without my knowledge, I've apparently joined an elite group. I couldn't be happier!

I was just up at the BYU library and tried to access your
page....congratulations, dearie, your page has been banned!

I thought it was hysterical.

Take care-
Tiff


I suspect my frequent rants on gay marriage and the prolific use of the "F" word triggered the BYU internet filters. While I'd like to think some BYU bigwig read my blog, damning me to Hell with each offensive post, I know I'm not all that important. Still, the issue of an institute of higher learning employing internet filters is bothersome. Isn't higher education about an open exchange of ideas, no matter how different they may be from our own? How can graduates of BYU claim to be well-educated if they've only been given access to a limited number of views? If you're not familiar with BYU, the school is affiliated with Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Unless I miss my guess, I suspect views that clash with LDS ideology are difficult to find.

Someday, I'm going to get all decked out in alternative garb, walk to the center of the BYU quad, and scream "Fuck!" as loud as I can. I wonder if security will chase me across campus? What a great image.

Iconoclastically yours,

D

No comments: