Thursday, September 10, 2009

Spank!

I gave my students a verbal swat on the behind this afternoon. When I asked what they thought of the President's address to the joint session of Congress, only one person could engage in a thoughtful discussion thereof. Why? With the exception of this one student, nobody took the time to watch or read the President's remarks. Are you kidding me?

I reminded my students that one of the goals of a liberal arts education is to become a learned citizen capable of joining the conversation regarding the public good. I suggested that their education goes beyond what they're learning in the classroom and extends to their practices in everyday life. Seek out knowledge and become a "person equipped to understand and confront a changing society." That's straight from the mission statement of our fine institution. One would think that students, particularly Communication Studies students, would be interested in how the President's message fits into a particularly contentious debate about our changing society.

Is this thing on? Am I reaching any of these young adults?

No comments: