Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Stumped

As someone who teaches at a smallish liberal arts college, becoming a frequent of the college's Interlibrary Loan office has been absolutely crucial. We just don't have the resources to compete with the larger institutions. So, much of my research is done via ILL. Over the course of almost four years, and some pretty obscure requests, the ILL department has never let me down. I'm afraid there might a good chance that run is about to end.

A few days back I submitted a request for Linda Godfrey's Beast of Bray Road. I discovered the book after a somewhat local newspaper reported an encounter with the Man Bat, a humanoid figure that witnesses described as part man and part bat. Man Bat, duh! I'm not sure why this kind of thing intrigues me, but it does. I'm all about Nessie, Bigfoot, Yeti, Champ, Ogopogo, and the Man Bat. If I've managed to stump ILL--I've yet to hear a peep about my request---I'm prepared to take the plunge and buy the book. Amazon has the text rated at 4.5 stars. How can I go wrong?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you have against el Chupacabras?

Just kidding! I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this research!

dilliwag said...

Damn! How did I forget about the Chupacabra?! I also neglected to mention the Mothman, the New Jersey Devil, Thunderbirds, or mokele mbembe. I'm really off my cryptozoological game.