Friday, March 20, 2009

Overload

Today is one of those really overwhelming media days that comes along every once in a great while. Battlestar Galactica concludes its run as a series, The Clone Wars ends its first season (and has been surprisingly good), and Dollhouse presents an episode that is being reviewed widely as Joss Whedon's return to form.* All the shows overlap, of course, and that means I had to do a quick reprogram of the DVR to record Clone Wars tomorrow AM. I'll watch it live, but the DVR can only handle two recordings at a time ::shakes fist at Mediacom technology Gods & Goddesses::). I'm dreading the end of BSG; it will not end on a happy note. With the exception of Starbuck, I'm predicting death for most of the major players. At the very least, Adama & Tigh will go down with their ship in a blaze of glory.

To top it all off, Metric released a streaming version of their new album yesterday and I just can't seem to find enough time to listen to it again, and again, and again, and again. I've contacted the Universe about adding two hours to each day but have yet to hear anything back.

*About six episodes too late. Dollhouse ratings haven't been all that stellar, although the series did see a gain last week and sees even more gains when time shifting numbers (DVR) are factored into the occasion. If forced to make a prediction, my guess is that FOX doesn't renew the show for next season. Could someone get the Sci Fi channel, er, SyFy Channel on the phone? Whedon's work never really takes off until the mythology is established, usually about half way through the 1st season. FOX never seems to get this until too late (like when Whedon's shows generate significant $$$$ via DVD sales).

7 comments:

Lord Mhoram said...

I've really looking forward to the BSG - I've been catching up on Season 4 to prepare for it.

I've heard it may not answer some big questions (like what is up with Kara). I hope they don't cop out, and actually give us an ending that ties up the major story threads.

Lord Mhoram said...

Interesting comment about Whedon and his Mythology. I've only ever liked Firefly. I liked the first season or so of Buffy, but really didn't like second season (I bailed about halfway through). I skipped Angel.

I tend to like his shows when they are fairly episodic, but once the overplot/myth hits, I hate his stuff.

Susan A. Hubbard said...

I am sad w/ BSG gone...now all my TV life has left is HGTV :(

I wanted to know what was Starbuck...and now we have to make our own conclusion, if possible lol

dilliwag said...

Starbuck was an angel sent from God, Susan. Blech.

Lord Mhoram said...

Actually what Starbuck was is one of the things I loved about the finale - The original series had so much based on faith and religion. In the beginning of the new BSG that was ignored. And as it turns out faith and God play as much a part of the NBSG as the old. I love that.

The fact that "imaginary" Six told Baltar that she was an angel in the miniseries.... and then it turns out she was. :)

I've felt BSG just got better each season, and from what I hear of the finale' I'm going to love it.

dilliwag said...

I didn't mind the spiritual angle as much as the execution. I found the theology of the series just as engaging as the political allegory. My problem was with the abrupt shift in tone that occurs in the second half of the finale (I LOVED the 1st hour, btw). We're watching the reworked BSG and then all of sudden we're watching Out of Africa?! Frakking cop out. Poorly executed tripe. The writers could have handled a similar ending in a number of different ways without disrupting the narrative coherence.

Lord Mhoram said...

Ah. I have yet to see the finale (more than halfway through season 4 though.. so soon). I'm only getting stuff second hand.
I know the second hour really irritated a lot of people.
I'll leave my impressions when I finally get to watching it (hopefully by this weekend.