Thursday, January 03, 2008

Hope

My argument, however, is that we have no choice. You don’t need a poll to know that the vast majority of Americans–Republican, Democrat, and independent–are weary of the dead zone that politics has become, in which narrow interests vie for advantage and ideological minorities seek to impose their own versions of absolute truth. Whether we’re from red states or blue states, we feel in our gut the lack of honesty, rigor, and common sense in our policy debates, and dislike what appears to be a continuous menu of false or cramped choices. Religious or secular, black, white, or brown, we sense– correctly–that the nation’s most significant challenges are being ignored, and that if we don’t change course soon, we may be the first generation in a very long time that leaves behind a weaker and more fractured America than the one we inherited. Perhaps more than any other time in our recent history, we need a new kind of politics, one that can excavate and build upon those shared understandings that pull us together as Americans.

Roughly one year ago, I read these words written by Barack Obama and thought to myself, "If this guy decides to run for President, I might just buck my trend of voting for third party candidates." About six weeks ago, I agreed to caucus for Barack Obama. I don't agree with all his policy positions and would probably find a better match in an idealist like Dennis Kucinich, but Obama seems the best electable option. So, I talked him up to folks I encountered, allowed the campaign to plant a sign on our corner lot (that was actually more STK's doing than mine), and marked the caucus on the calendar. Tonight, I did my civic duty and stood with Barack Obama. In fact, I even approached a couple other caucus goers who supported non-viable candidates and invited them to join the Obama camp. At least one of those folks shifted allegiances to Obama. As STK said earlier this evening, "Nice work, d. You did your duty."

I watched Obama's acceptance speech tonight and I have to say, I haven't been this excited about a candidate in, well, ever. When I listen to him speak, I hear a genuineness that doesn't seem present in the other front runners. I think some of that sincerity is the result of naivety; Obama clearly thinks he can take on the Washington establishment and make significant changes. I suspect he hasn't been around long enough to realize that much of what he wants to accomplish will be met with resistance at every turn, even from his own party. Even so, I find his "audacity of hope" compelling. I'm tired of Washington business as usual and from where I'm standing, Barack Obama presents the best opportunity to actually see some change.

I am an Obama supporter and I approve this message.

2 comments:

Lord Mhoram said...

I don't agree with his abortion or gun control stances, and am made uncomfortable about his views on NASA and the importance of spaceflight (which I think should be the second most important thing to this country behind an actual working national defense) - he's not bad. Certainly the best the Demos have to offer.

And I don't really care for most of the Republicans running this time around.

I'll have to see what all develops.

Lord Mhoram said...

Let me amend my previous statement - NASA should be right behind National Defence (and I mean defence, not offence) and Education.