Thursday, January 03, 2008

Holiday Redux

Three weeks, three "official" holiday parties, 2000 miles, and three holiday celebrations with friends and family. And people wonder why I'm not all "JingleBellsDashingThroughTheSnowJoyToTheWorld" about the holiday season? Personally, I find it all a bit exhausting. It's always a treat to see friends and family, bask in the hustle and bustle of the big city, and get away from home for a bit, of course, but I'm glad it's all over and that I'm back in the middle of almost nowhere (although the Presidential candidates seem to think we live somewhere--nearly all of them have been through our neck of the woods the last couple weeks).

The holiday booty proved predictable--probably because I send out the same list every single year--but right on the money for my tastes. Highlights include Fahrenheit, Kaladi Coffee for a year (1 lb a month), some Aveda product (clove shampoo), a couple Barnes and Noble gift cards, and a black sweater vest. I'm on the prowl for a skinny black tie.

Throughout the holiday sojourn, the weather wizard tried to complicate matters. We left town ahead of a winter storm and while we managed to dodge the snow we spent the better part of nine hours driving through heavy fog and drizzle. Brilliant sunshine illuminated the second leg of the journey providing a beautiful view of the mountains as we approached the front range. Alas, the sunshine proved fleeting and substantial amounts of snow (8" on two different occasions) complicated travel plans slightly. The snow did provide the opportunity to do some shoveling for both my in-laws and my 'rents, thus paying forward the shoveling done by DrOneDink and AlabamaHick (they shoveled our sidewalk while we were away). While I was hoping for one of those 65 degree Colorado Christmases that turn up now and again, a white Christmas was unavoidable.

The drive back from Colorado seemed shorter this time around, largely due to my discovery of Nebraska's most excellent Public Radio network. With slight adjustments to the dial, NPR comes in loud and clear across the entire state. STK and TLO spent most of the trip in the back of the Element, dozing and watching Star Wars DVDs, while I just kept on truckin'.

A viewing of Stardust ushered in the New Year. Of all the nights on the calendar, I avoid doing anything on New Years Eve or, as I like to call it, Amateur Night. On New Years Eve, almost everyone thinks they can drink like a pro. The result is a bunch of goofy, buzzed or falling down drunk folks who aren't all that entertaining . . . unless you're also loaded, of course. Not that exciting for us sober folk. I also get tired of everyone turning to me and saying, "Hey, Derek can drive us home. He doesn't drink." Uh, no. You are responsible for your own behaviors. Assign a designated driver, call a cab, walk, or take a bus. I am not spending my evening chauffeuring drunks. The best way to avoid the entire mess is to stay home. Thankfully, STK and I are on the same page.

With the holiday season in the year view mirror, I'm turning my attention to the upcoming spring semester. I'm on mini sabbatical until January 31st and have a list of academic projects in my queue: 3rd year review personal statement, conference paper, course syllabi. A busy January for sure, but I get to work completely on my own schedule. Huzzah!

1 comment:

Michael said...

We saw Stardust almost by accident. My brother-in-law was in town for the weekend and we all went to see Rush Hour 3, and he talked us into staying to see Stardust. Good thing, too. We loved it. We own it now.