Friday, November 23, 2007

Gobble Gobble!

It's been so long since I've made an entry that I wonder if I have a single reader who even checks my dusty little corner of cyberspace. If you're out there, I hope you're running an RSS feed and don't waste your time checking the page on a regular basis. I'm not sure why I can't seem to manage to update on a regular basis. At the end of the day, with school, family, and other obligations, blogging just drifts to the end of the "To Do" list.

Life has been very good of late. The school semester continues to fly by and, after the end of Thanksgiving break, only two full weeks of classes remain. Tons of grading looms on the horizon, but I just don't get freaked out about that anymore. Considering that I used to have 230 students every semester, 60 seems entirely manageable. I have to bite my tongue not to laugh out loud when I hear some of my colleagues complain about grading 60 papers or exams over a ten day period. I'll take that any day.

The other bit of exciting school news, I suppose, is that I finally received an "affirmative" on the long in development Battlestar Galactica essay and, barring an "I hate it" from the editor, should have another publication under my belt come next fall. The deadline for the completed draft is still ten days away and I have the difficult part of the essay finished. Another five or six pages to go, which I should finish this weekend, and I'll spend the next week or so tinkering, editing, rewriting.

Writing should be no problem this weekend as the house is completely quiet. To celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary STK's parents decided to take the family on a dream vacation to Ireland. Despite my warnings that I cannot take time off during the school year, they booked the trip during the school year. As such, I'm the only one of the family--STK's parents, offspring (STK, siblings, and spouses), grand offspring (TLO and his two cousins)--who is not enjoying the streets of Dublin and the rolling countryside of Ireland proper. Yes, I'm a bit miffed that I'm the one who got stiffed in the entire affair. And her parents wonder why I'm not all that hip to family events. Had this been my parents, and my parents would never fork out the cash to fly everyone out of the country, they would have picked a time when everyone could go. I will always be something of an outsider with STK's family. Some of that is my fault (I won't conform to family expectations) and some of it is there's (I'm not the person they would have picked for STK's partner). It is what it is. Anyway, I've been playing bachelor since Thanksgiving morning. It didn't take long to get back into my preferred sleeping habits; I stayed up until 3:30 am and slept until 10:30 am. I wish I could do that every day.

I spent Thanksgiving driving to an airport, helping STK get TLO loaded into a plane, and driving home. Driving to the airport we spotted a flock of 16 wild turkeys having their own Thanksgiving meal in a recently harvested corn field. I believe my response was, "Run, you fools, run! It's Thanksgiving Day and you're strolling around a field a 1/2 mile from town?! Run! Be free!" Later in the evening I had the not-so-traditional holiday repast with Dr. OneDink and the Alabama Hick. Most items on the menu, while based on a traditional holiday dish, had some slight modification. We ate Quorn cutlets (vegetarian meat like product), yam sautée (boiled in apple juice), cheese potatoes (baked potato slices with a tidbit of cheese), etc. As far as Thanksgiving dinners go, it was delicious and moderately healthy. We did have steamed broccoli/carrots/cauliflower, stuffing, and pumpkin pie so it wasn't a completely alternative meal. I went home feeling full, but not stuffed. I'm very thankful Dr. OneDink and Alabama Hick invited me into their home.

I leave you today with what is most definitely my favorite scene from any movie dealing with Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving, gobble gobble, and all that.

3 comments:

Susan A. Hubbard said...

I check may times a day, but alas there was nary an update.

Until today.

This peasant rejoices.

chef pruno said...

Yeah, I've been checking every few days as well. And now I feast on the bounty!

Happy whatever, cuz. Enjoy the silence as a consolation for being in Iowa instead of Ireland.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that you were stiffed on the Ireland trip, D. I cease to be amazed at how inconsiderate some people can be.

I hope STK and TLO return home safely to you. I suspect that will be the best gift that can be given.